Saturday 27 November 2010

3rd at Barns Green Half Marathon 1.10

Jetlagged off the plane from Hawaii I lined up for The Barns Green Half Marathon. I have only run the distance once before and was not ready at all! When Kenyan Edwin Kipyego showed up on the start line to lead out the 1,750 runners I knew we were in trouble. He went through mile 1 on world record pace and then slacked it off over the tough course to win by a stretch. I got carried away at the start going through mile 1 in second in 4.43 - woops! I soon tempered it and tucked in behind three-time winner James Baker. On mile 6 I went clear into second before having major quad issues that forced me to make a little stop on mile 9! - moral: do not run in ultralightweight shoes over that distance! I then got involved in a battle for 2nd with Neil Boniface who duely run the finish out of me to pip me. 3rd at Barns Green - 1.10 on a very tough course. I am now training over longer distances with as I am targeting the podium on the Ford IRONMAN 70.3 circuit in 2011. Phoenix AC reckon I can get a sub 1.06 on the right course which would be the run more than dialled.

No comments:

Post a Comment